Dependence --> Independence --> Interdependence

Wednesday, March 3, 2010



We each begin life as an infant, totally dependent on others. We are directed, nurtured, and sustained by others. Without this nurturing, we would only live for a few hours or a few days at the most.
Then gradually, over the ensuring months and years, we become more and more independent - physically, mentally, emotionally, and financially - until eventually we can essentially take care of ourselves, becoming inner-directed and self-reliant.
As we continue to grow and mature, we become increasingly aware that all of nature is interdependent, that there is an ecological system that governs nature, including society. We further discover that the higher reaches of our nature have to do with our relationships with others - that human life also is interdependent.
On the maturity continuum, dependence is the paradigm of you - you take care of me; you come through for me; you didn't come through; I blame you for the results.
Independence is the paradigm of I- I can do it; I am responsible; I am self-reliant; I can choose.
Interdependence is the paradigm of we- we can do it; we can cooperate; we can combine our talents and abilities and create something greater together.

Source: The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People
The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Welcome to my blog! If you're here to discover which book you should read to enhance your financial education, then this is definitely the place! I recommend some of the financial books I've read as well as some latest financial education books & summarize them here. Feel free to leave your comments~ =)

Labels

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP